Wednesday, February 4, 2009

McKinley

I drew my gaze from the quiet summer lake
And turned in awe toward her majestic presence.
As she stood silent, yet omnipotent
Of all that occurs in her shadows below.

She is a force of nature
That can bend the wills of most men
And break those of the rest.
Yet, countless continue to ascend her towers.

I stare off in the distance
And her form interrupts the horizon
With jagged, snow-covered peaks.
Did Heaven just drop her to earth one day?

Her presence has claimed the lives of many
And will claim many more before she is done.
Yet, they return to her each year,
Just as a child returns home to his mother.

By somehow conquering her massiveness,
They have proven their worth as athletes, as men.
But have they proven to this awesome force
That their lives are truly worthwhile?

I watch the clouds gather around her peaks,
Just as sheep gather in a herd.
And I ponder her next victim.
Will she spare another?

No comments:

Post a Comment